Friday, May 8, 2009

I'll Take "Birds that are Blue" for $600, Alex

OK, here's your clue: The male of this type of bird is dark blue and about 5" tall. It forages on the ground and in low foliage for weed seeds, grains, insects and wild berries. It can be found around brush and low trees near open areas like overgrown fields. The bird's overall numbers are decreasing.*

* (Clue found in "STOKES FIELD GUIDE TO BIRDS")
What is "Indigo Bunting?"
Correct! And we welcome a new species to the blog!

1 comment:

  1. I checked out the web page on the Indigo Buntings, it was very interesting. At first glance I thought Blue Bird but I think they have a rust colored belly. Thanks to this blog I have been introduced to a new species in my limited bird identifications. I'll be keeping an eye out to see if I can spot any in my area.

    Mikey

    ReplyDelete